Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Review: A Gathering of Shadows by V.E.Schwab (Shades of Magic #2)

Title: A Gathering of Shadows
Author: V.E.Schwab
Blurb: It has been four months since a mysterious obsidian stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Prince Rhy was wounded, and since the nefarious Dane twins of White London fell, and four months since the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift--back into Black London.
Now, restless after having given up his smuggling habit, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks as she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games--an extravagant international competition of magic meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries--a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.
And while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night will reappear in the morning. But the balance of magic is ever perilous, and for one city to flourish, another London must fall.







Attention please: spoilers are in white and conveniently hidden :)



Wow!
This book....this book....was such a ride! My head is still spinning!

Please note: this review is going to be brief not because I did not like the book but because I'm reading A Conjuring of Light and I cannot stay away from it for far too long xD
Now...
 
The writing:
 I don't believe in perfection but Schwab's writing is the closest thing to it that I have read so far. She has such a wonderful way with words,the images so vivid that it feels like watching a movie and better yet like you're breathing and living in the world she has built. (And YES I'd totally live in the Shades of Magic's multilayered world...if only to steal Kell's coat ha ha ha!).
 

The ships: 
Oh there are so many lovely ships around here...*smirks*(and I'd like to steal the Night Spire from under Alucard's nose lol).
One of which ( Alucard x Rhys)  I didn't see coming...not at all! So I was left pleasantly stunned.
The other one  ( Which one? Kell x Lila, obviously!)  I was insanely happy to see finally sailing! FINALLY!!  Dear Victoria, thank you for having suffer until the almost very end for a kiss....and oh boy what a kiss!! The whole ballroom & balcony scene was a masterpiece that had my heart singing of joy...which is an exceptional feat. Of course, things went fast downhill from there...*cries*  


The characters:
I read the book two times, the first one I got to half of it and then read the end (I know....I'm such a terrible reader) and the second...the second I finally found enough time to read this book properly. Now during the first sitting Lila scraped on my nerves a lot, especially at the beginning but on the second sitting I was totally fine with that. Still I rejoiced when finally Alucard tells her to mind the consequences of her actions (*pats Alucard on the shoulder...*)
Similarly, at first  when Kell goes willingly with Oijka  felt slightly "off" (I'm nitpicking!) but the second time around it actually made sense  with Kell in an emotional turmoil after being imprisoned,the constant torment of his guilt and so on ... (I know from experience that yes when you're angry and emotionally stressed you do tend to make crappy choices and take even shittier decisions....)
But let's back to more lighter topic...for example the Alucard Vs Kell, I mean those two....I had so many laughs thanks to their "squabbles". And let's not talk about the constant banter between Lila and Alucard...*snickers*
I also loved the ever deep relationship between Kell & Rhy....it melted my heart. *My babbieees!*
And talking of relationships... even I don't know how but Kell & Lila, by the end of A Gathering of Shadows managed to become one of my few favorite OTP ever. I mean how? When? was it real magic or what?...but it is okay!! No worries, I'm happy this way!!!

Last but not least ...I loved Hasta (though I do miss Kell's guards from book one----poor boys---Hastra is very cute!)and adored Jinnar! Besieds, I oh-so-wanted to throttle the King & Queen---

And I'll leave the review at this since ACOL is currently calling my name ha ha ha...sorry, not so sorry!!




Rating:

5 Blossoms

No comments:

Post a Comment